Nelson Mandela, the former political prisoner who became the first president of a post-apartheid South Africa and whose heroic life and towering moral stature made him one of history’s most influential statesmen, died Thursday, the government announced. He was 95.
Today - World
"He no longer belongs to us. He belongs to the ages." – President Barack Obama "His passion for freedom and justice created new hope for generations of oppressed people worldwide, and because of him, South Africa is today one of the world's leading democracies." – Former President Jimmy Carter "God was so good to us in South Africa by giving us Nelson Mandela to be
Today - World
Militants stormed the Defense Ministry in the heart of Yemen’s capital Thursday, killing 52 people, including at least seven foreigners, in a suicide car bombing and assault by gunmen. The brazen attack claimed by al-Qaida’s local branch in Yemen follows a rise in U.S.
Today 3:52 am - World
- Deadly clashes sweep Central Africa Republic capital
BANGUI, Central African Republic – Wielding rifles and machetes, armed Christian fighters who support the Central African Republics exiled president assaulted the capital at dawn Thursday, leaving nearly 100 people dead.Today - World
- Mandela valued power of sports
He emerged into bright winter sunshine, stepped onto the lush field and pulled on a cap. His long-sleeve green rugby jersey was untucked and buttoned right up to the top, a style all his own. On the back, a gold No. 6, big and bold.Today - Professional
- WWII-era songs come alive at New Orleans museum
Decked out in 1940s throwback tailored dresses and perfectly coiffed curls, the Victory Belles seem delightfully out of place in the age of hip-hop.Today - U.S.
- Whales head to deeper Florida waterToday - News
- New Mexico cop put on leave after firing at minivan filled with kidsToday 3:19 am - U.S.
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Walker crashToday 3:18 am - U.S.
- Smog at extremely hazardous levels in ShanghaiToday 3:45 am - World
- Biden: Asia's growth a chance to bend historyToday 3:38 am - World
- WEATHER JOURNALToday - Weather
- CorrectionToday - Corrections
- LotteriesToday - News
- Mandela and the barbecue cookThursday - World
- Life of Nelson MandelaThursday - World
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95Thursday - World
- School bus, dump truck in fatal crashThursday - U.S.
- Boehner floats farm bill extensionThursday - U.S.
- Winter storm heads this wayThursday - Weather
- World mourns MandelaThursday - World