You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Worker charged in forging checks
    A home health care worker was charged Friday with writing herself more than $3,000 worth of checks from a couple who hired her.Lamesha C.
  • Motorcyclist badly injured in crash
    A man was in critical condition Friday afternoon after a motorcycle crash on the interstate in northeast Fort Wayne.
  • Video shows mom punching boy, 14
    A Grabill woman faces criminal charges after police said she was recorded on video punching her 14-year-old son in the face and stomach and unleashing a tirade of vulgarities at him.Meagen T.
Rachel Von | The Journal Gazette
A semi-truck lays on its side after getting into an accident on 1-69 at exit 296 near the General Motors Fort Wayne Assembly Plant on Friday.

Trooper, 2 others injured in crash that closes southbound I-69

Southbound Interstate 69 was briefly closed Friday when a box truck barrelled into stopped traffic, hitting three vehicles, including a state police car, and injuring three people just a few miles from where an earlier crash snarled traffic.

Traffic on I-69 was already taxing enough Friday afternoon after a semi overturned near the General Motors plant about 1:30 p.m.

The second crash left southbound lanes closed for 1 1/2 hours just north of Airport Expressway and sent three people to the hospital.

State Police Master Trooper Trent Kiefer was in his police car in the southbound lanes of the freeway with his lights on to let drivers know about upcoming traffic congestion, according to the state police.

As he sat stopped, the southbound box truck driven by Derek Lightle of Sheridan sideswiped Kiefer’s car, hit a Cadillac driven by Tammie Bell of Fort Wayne and sent it into the median, before the box truck hit a semi, police said.

The box truck was then lodged against a sign on the west side of the highway.

Kiefer and Bell were treated and released from a local hospital, but Lightle remained hospitalized, according to state police.

The second crash brought southbound traffic to a stop about half a mile north of Airport Expressway.

Northbound traffic was also snarled, with many drivers on Airport Expressway changing their minds and finding ways around a parking lot that awaited them at the bottom of the onramp.

Both southbound lanes were closed from about 3:10 to 4:50 p.m. when one lane was opened. Both lanes were opened at 5:30 p.m.

Police were parked at the interchange with U.S. 24 to keep people from getting on the freeway to go south.