You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Northbound I-69 reopens in DeKalb after crash
    Northbound Interstate 69 in DeKalb County has reopened after a three-car crash closed both lanes this afternoon, Indiana State Police said.
  • Police warn of potential phone scam
    Someone is calling Kendallville residents and telling them they have won money or a new car. Kendallville police say it’s a potential scam.
  • Police try to ID child's shooter
    Fort Wayne police detectives are still trying to piece together who pulled the trigger in a southeast-side drive-by shooting that put a small child in the hospital Saturday night.

Man arrested after barricading himself with an assault rifle

A man barricaded himself inside a Fort Wayne apartment with an assault rifle early this morning when police responded to reports of a domestic battery, according to a statement from the Fort Wayne Police Department.

A woman called police shortly before 1:30 a.m. Thursday to report that Tracey Salter, 21, of Fort Wayne was involved in an altercation with her on Oneida Street earlier that evening. After the altercation, she said another woman took Salter to an apartment on Lakeside Drive. Meanwhile, she followed them to the apartment and asked the apartment’s security to call police.

When police arrived, they needed to speak with Salter and discovered an active warrant for his arrest, the statement said. But Salter was inside the apartment and armed with an assault rifle, refusing to come out.

When attempts to contact him were unsuccessful, the Emergency Services Team used an explosive device to get into the apartment and began to call Salter out with a loudspeaker. He eventually surrendered peacefully, and an assault rifle was recovered from the room, the statement said.

Salter was arrested on charges of an outstanding felony warrant for Contempt of Court on an Attempted Robbery charge. He is currently being interviewed by detectives, and there may be additional charges pending the outcome of his interview, the statement said.

Several surrounding apartments were evacuated this morning and the Hanna Street entrance to the apartment complex was closed for the duration of the incident to keep residents safe.

This incident is under investigation.