You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • Guilty plea filed in near-record marijuana haul
    A 51-year-old Indianapolis man pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court, admitting to dealing large quantities of marijuana shipped in appliances.
  • City to pay $15,000 in police shooting
    The city of Fort Wayne will pay $15,000 to the estate of a man killed by police in late December 2010. Originally filed in Allen Superior Court, the lawsuit was transferred to federal court.
  • Warsaw printer accused over firing
    The Indiana Civil Rights Commission found probable cause that a Warsaw company discriminated against a pregnant employee. According to a press release issued Friday, the Warsaw location of R.

Work release for dog's owner

A man accused of starving his dog to death was sentenced this week in Allen Superior Court and will be placed in work release today to serve the executed portion of his sentence.

Cameron Marcum, 26, was sentenced Tuesday by Allen Superior Court Judge Wendy Davis on a charge of torturing or mutilating a vertebrate animal. He was given a two-year prison sentence, but 18 months of that sentence was ordered suspended under a plea pact.

He will be able to serve the sentence on Allen County work release, and according to court records, he will begin serving the time in work release today. After he serves that portion of his sentence, he will serve 18 months on probation.

His girlfriend, Chelsey Ormsby, will be sentenced later. She pleaded guilty to torturing or mutilating a vertebrate animal.

As part of their plea agreements with prosecutors, neither may legally own or possess any animal, and both may be visited without notice by Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control during their probation periods.

They were charged this year after an investigation into the death of a puppy named Tito. His decomposing body was found in a bedroom under a child’s bassinet. He had been slowly starved to death, deprived of food, water and human contact for months.

His body was discovered in October when police went to serve arrest warrants on the couple.

Two other charges against Marcum – cruelty to an animal, a misdemeanor, and harboring a non-immunized dog, an infraction – were dismissed.