* The man barricaded in an apartment on the 8400 block of Lakeside Dr. has surrendered and an assault rifle was recovered. Click for police statement.
* Fort Wayne Newspapers sixth annual Moms Night Out event will be held from 5:30 to 9 p.m. today at Ceruti's Summit Park. Click for story with additional details.
* Attwood is recalling a kayak and watersports storage hanger. Click to learn about this and other recalls.
* Saturday and Sunday will be the last days of the season for New Haven Jury Pool, which will be open from noon to 7 p.m. both days, when highs are expected to be near 90 degrees. For more information, call the park office at 749-2212 or Jury Pool at 245-0152.
* On this date in 1959, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed an executive order making Hawaii the 50th state. Actress Hayden Panettiere, TV personality Brody Jenner, NFL quarterback Jim McMahon and NBC newsman Harry Smith are among the many notables sharing a birthday today. If you want to know what else makes today special, click for Today in History.
* Let’s celebrate:
National Spumoni Day
National Senior Citizen's Day
2. TODAY’S WEATHER
We have a 70 percent chance of storms with a high in the lowerr 80s.
3. LOCAL STORIES YOU’LL WANT TO READ
* Teacher accused of having sex with teen. Click
* Materials are sought for Afghanistan veteran's home Click
* Superior Court judge apologizes for 'extremely tasteless' remarks. Click
* Woman's tormentor sought in beatings. Click
*Manicure upgrades go from paint to works of art. Click
4. ROADWORK & ROAD RESTRICTIONS
Webster Street is closed between Wayne and Berry streets until December 2015. Click to learn of other area road projects and restrictions.
5. A QUICK LOOK AT LOCAL SPORTS
* TinCaps put it all together in 10-0 victory over Great Lakes. Click
* Komets add defense, scoring with pair Click