1. Today we have a 50 percent chance of rain, with a high near 84. Click for an extended forecast.
2. Flutter Road is closed between St. Joe and Wheelock roads through Friday, Aug. 22. Click to learn of other area road projects and restrictions.
3. The JG ran a bunch of interesting and informative stories in today's paper. Here are a few you might want to read.
* A quick-thinking Indiana State Police trooper pulls man out of Knapp Lake in Noble County. Click
* Kim Dupps Truesdell gives us tips on what workgear is best to wear when participating in various activities. Click
* Ancient remains have been found in Hamilton Lake. Click
* Frank Gray's column is how Pathfinder Services is granting a sister's wish for a hot-air balloon ride. Click
* The sale of Fort Wayne-based WaterFurnace Renewable Energy Inc. to a Swedish company is OK'd by shareholders. Click
4. Here are some of the things happening on our local sports scene.
* Sac fly in 10th gives TinCaps a 3-2 win over Great Lakes. Click for story.
* Click to read the latest high school golf, soccer, tennis and volleyball scores.
5. FYI ...
*This season, The Journal Gazette sports department is inviting nine readers to participate in our weekly high school football predictions contest. If you’re a devoted high school football fan and want to play, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you should be chosen and include a head shot and your phone number. We will pick the nine best responses, and each reader will get to pick a week’s slate of games.
* The city of New Haven will spray for mosquitoes, weather permitting, from 8 p.m. to midnight Wednesday, concentrating on the Sunnymede subdivision. Click for more information.
* University of Saint Francis will participate in a food drive from 1 to 3 p.m. Thursday. Students, who will be wearing identification bearing the university and Associated Churches logo, will be going door to door in the 46808 and 46802 ZIP code neighborhoods collecting food for the Associated Churches of Fort Wayne & Allen County Neighborhood Food Network.
* On August 19, 2004, Google began trading on the Nasdaq Stock Market, ending the day up $15.34 at $100.34. If you want to know what else makes today special, click for Today in History.
* Let’s celebrate:
World Humanitarian Day
National Soft Ice Cream Day
National Aviation Day