You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Details few after 2 shot, 1 fatally
    One man died and another was seriously wounded in a shooting on East Rudisill Boulevard early Sunday, police said.The men had not been identified Sunday night.
  • Missing Mount Etna teen found in Fort Wayne
    17-year-old Brandon Smith who had been missing since Friday, was found safe in downtown Fort Wayne Sunday morning, the Huntington County Sheriff’s Department said.
  • 1 dead, 1 wounded in shooting on East Rudisill
    An adult male died from gunshot wounds early Sunday, according to Fort Wayne police spokesman Jason Anthony.Officers responded to a shooting about 12:55 a.m. in the 600 block of East Rudisill Boulevard.

Officials believe 2 deaths related

Coroner IDs victims; cause still pending

What started with a man being left Friday evening at a Fort Wayne hospital shortly before he died eventually led police to the death investigation of a second man that night.

Fort Wayne police and the Allen County Coroner’s Office haven’t yet said how the men died, but investigators believe the two knew each other.

The coroner’s office identified the men as 54-year-old Timothy L. Hartman of Ashley and 58-year-old Neal Reading of Pleasant Lake.

The investigation began shortly before 6 p.m. Friday when two men arrived at the emergency room entrance to St. Joseph Hospital and the driver wanted help for the passenger, police said.

Hospital staff determined the passenger was in critical condition and immediately took him in for treatment at which point the driver of the car left, police said. The man died shortly thereafter, but authorities did not say whether the person was Hartman or Reading.

About 25 minutes later, police were called to the 1200 block of Michigan Avenue on a report of a man who was unconscious.

An unresponsive man was found in an apartment and taken to a hospital where he soon died, police said.

The coroner’s office said the cause and manner of Hartman’s and Reading’s deaths are pending, but police said neither appeared to suffer any injuries.