Notre Dame is investigating "suspected academic dishonesty" of four football players, the school said in a statement issued Friday evening. A press conference was scheduled for 6 p.m.
The Irish notified the NCAA earlier in the day and said the players, who were not named in the release, remain enrolled at the university but will be kept away from any team activities until the ongoing investigation is concluded.
“Integrity is at the heart of our mission and academic misconduct will not be tolerated at Notre Dame,” school president John Jenkins said in a release. “If the suspected improprieties are proven, we will use the experience to reinforce among our students the importance of honesty in all that they do. We are also examining ways of better conveying to students that they can avail themselves of legitimate academic assistance without resorting to cheating.”
The investigation, conducted by Notre Dame's office of general counsel, began when the athletic department's compliance office received information on July 29 at the end of the summer session of classes. The school said that the information involved evidence that students had submitted papers and homework that had been written for them by others.
Notre Dame pledged to voluntarily vacate all wins in which the players participated, if in fact the investigation determines the players were retroactively ineligible for competition.
A report by Yahoo! Sports said DaVaris Daniels, KeiVarae Russell, Ishaq Williams and Kendall Moore were the four players who met with university investigators. Daniels, Russell and Williams hold starting roles, while Moore is a backup.
Check back on the Irish Insights blog later today for more on this story or pick up a copy of Saturday's Journal Gazette.