1. Today will be a great day for outdoor activities. Expect sunshine, with a high near 74. Click here for an extended forecast.
2. The closure of Fairfax Avenue from Buell Drive to McClellan Street ends today, Aug. 14. Click here to learn of other area road projects and restrictions.
3. The JG ran a bunch of interesting and informative stories in today's paper. Here are a few you might want to read.
4. Here are a few things happening on the local sports scene.
* TinCaps fall to Lugnuts 3-2 Wednesday night. Click here
* The JG's Chris Goff reports that Everett Golson will be Notre Dame's starting quarterback - at least in Week 1. Click here
* Click here to read the latest high school golf scores.
5. For Your Information ...
* We are seeking submissions for our Fall Events Guide, listing activities from Sept. 1 to May 25. The guide includes festivals in Indiana and Ohio, theater performances and art exhibits. Send listings to Terri Richardson at email@example.com or fax 461-8648. Include event name, date, time, location, cost and a contact number. Deadline to receive items is Friday.
* The St. Marys Pathway between the Fairfield Avenue Trailhead and the intersection of Tillman Road and Calhoun Street will be closed through Sept. 5 for construction of a floodway levee for high water level protection in the area.
* On this date in 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act into law. If you want to know what else makes today special, click here for Today in History.
* Let’s celebrate:
Victory over Japan (VJ) Day
National Creamsicle Day
National Navajo Code Talkers Day