No one was home when a fire erupted Monday night at an apartment on Fort Wayne’s southeast side, but six people on either side of the apartment had to evacuate.
A resident of an apartment building at 4029 Hessen Cassel Road reported a small amount of smoke in her apartment shortly before 11 p.m., according to the Fort Wayne Fire Department.
When firefighters arrived, they did not find any fire in the woman’s apartment but did find a fire burning behind a dryer in the apartment next door, the department said.
No one was home in the apartment with the fire, but six people who live on either side of the blaze had to leave the building, the fire department said.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze in 17 minutes but stayed at the apartments for more than an hour to ensure there wasn’t any fire in the walls, the fire department said.