You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • No answers after shots ring in city
    The vehicles raced down a city street, gunfire ringing out between them.
  • Blaze heavily damages home
    A Fort Wayne family won’t be able to spend Thanksgiving at home after a fire gutted their house Wednesday. Smoke and flames were already visible from the two-story home at 3920 S. Anthony Blvd.
  • Fire burns two apartments
    A fire in two apartments Wednesday afternoon forced the residents to find somewhere else to stay this Thanksgiving.The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called about 4:10 p.m.

Police investigating death of 78-year-old woman

When Vicki Wilkerson couldn’t get a hold of her sister Friday afternoon, she became concerned enough to ask her nephew to check on his mother.

The son arrived about 20 minutes later at his mother’s mobile home in northwest Fort Wayne and found a horrific scene.

“He said, ‘It’s bad. There’s blood all over,’ ” Wilkerson said of her nephew’s reaction over the phone as he opened the front door to his mother’s trailer and found her body on the floor.

Police are treating the death of the 78-year-old woman, whose name was not yet officially released, as suspicious, according to officer Chris Felton, spokesman for the Fort Wayne Police Department.

He said the coroner’s office will issue a ruling on whether the scene at 5721 Le Steele Blvd. in Valley Hills Mobile Home Park off Washington Center Road was a homicide.

Wilkerson said she talks to her sister every day by phone at 4:30 p.m. and knows the retired widow expects her call.

“Today I called her three times and no answer,” Wilkerson said.

Felton said he could not say whether there were signs of a struggle or if anything was missing from the woman’s home, although family could be heard discussing a missing piece of electronic equipment.

Neighbor Gary Piercy said he usually keeps to himself and so did the woman whose trailer was now roped off with police tape and had police cars and crime scene vans parked in front of it.

“She was an all-around good lady,” Piercy said, adding that he would at times help his neighbor with anything she might need.

Wilkerson recalled her as a friend to animals and a huge Chicago Cubs fan.

“She was an animal lover. She took care of the birds,” she said, adding that her sister retired about 10 years ago from her job as a legal secretary for the Baker and Daniels law firm in Fort Wayne.

As police interviewed nearby residents, family and Piercy were mystified as to what could’ve happened in the woman’s mobile home.

“She was the best neighbor a guy could hope for,” Piercy said.