The roads around Interstate 469 and Auburn Road have been cleared and reopened after a construction crew hit a gas line this morning, requiring patients and staff from two medical buildings to be evacuated for a time, Fort Wayne firefighters said.
Construction crews working on Auburn Road hit a gas line about 8 a.m. at the Interstate 469 exit ramp to Auburn Road, the Fort Wayne Fire Department said in a statement.
Ear, Nose and Throat Associates, 10021 Dupont Circle Court, contacted the fire department when people there detected the smell of natural gas, the statement said.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, they learned the construction crew was already aware of the issue and had notified NIPSCO, the natural gas provider.
Fire crews evacuated about 70 patients and staff from the building as a precautionary measure, the statement said. They also evacuated about 12 staff from the neighboring Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Associates building at 10008 Dupont Circle Court when a gas odor was detected there.
Firefighters said the interstate's exit ramp to Auburn Road, southbound Auburn Road at Dupont Circle and Auburn Road northbound at Wallen Road were closed while NIPSCO worked at the scene.
The incident was under control around 10:30 a.m. It remains under investigation.