Nobody knows how or when the baby got his hands on the methadone.
It's anybody's guess as to when the 11-month-old boy swallowed the drug.
Nobody can pinpoint, with exact certainty, when the baby's breathing became troublesome enough to warrant a trip to the hospital.
What is known, is that several people noticed the baby wheezing over the course of three hours.
It's known that in a roughly that span, several people told the woman who had care of the child that he needed to go to the hospital and she didn't take him there and it's known that because he didn't receive care, the baby died.
Allen County Prosecutors have formally charged the woman caring for the child with one felony count of neglect of a dependent.
A warrant was issued Monday for the arrest of 22-year-old Saysha R. Hogue, of the 600 block of Tillwater Lane.
The timeline of events as laid out in Allen Superior Court documents describe Hogue as baby-sitting the child for most of the day he died.
Documents also identify her as a cousin to the baby's mother.
Hogue began taking care of the child at about 8:30 a.m. on Aug. 10.
She told investigators that she gave the baby ibuprofen sometime between 2:45 p.m. and 3:45 p.m. because of teething issues.
After that, Hogue told detectives she put the child down on the floor of the apartment she and saw him put something in his mouth, according to court documents. She ran her finger through his mouth, caused him to throw up his lunch, but found nothing that concerned her, the documents said.
Hogue's boyfriend, his mother and another man then came to pick her and the child up to run some errands.
This happened a little after 5 p.m., and the time where people began showing concern for the child.
The mother of Hogue's boyfriend told investigators she immediately asked if the boy had a breathing problem.
He was making raspy sounds, she said in court documents.
Hogue's boyfriend dropped her off at a plasma center and then watched the baby while she went inside.
Her boyfriend would later describe the child's breathing as “wheezing” and that he woke the boy up to make sure he was all right.
The boyfriend's mother even asked at this point if the child needed “a breathing treatment,” according to court documents.
When Hogue finished inside the plasma center at about 6 p.m. or so, the boyfriend immediately told her the child was breathing funny, as if he were “gasping for air” and that they should take him to the hospital.
Hogue's boyfriend said he repeated that numerous times throughout the course of the evening.
According to court documents, Hogue said the boy breathed like that in his sleep sometimes and there was nothing to worry about.
She then took the boy inside a Kroger for a five-minute shopping trip.
Inside the store at about 6:45 p.m., an employee asked Hogue if he had asthma due to his short breaths.
The employee told Hogue the boy sounded like he needed to go to the hospital.
Upon returning to the car, Hogue's boyfriend again suggested a trip to the hospital.
Still, Hogue shrugged it off, according to court documents.
Instead, she had her boyfriend drive to Waynedale to get water for the boy's bottle then to Jefferson Pointe for food.
The boyfriend then drove to an apartment complex to visit one of his cousins while Hogue and the baby stayed in the car.
At some point, the boy's heartbeat became light and he had no pulse.
Hogue called her boyfriend back to the car and they rushed the boy to the hospital.
By then it was about 8 p.m., at least three hours after people began noticing trouble with the boy's breathing, according to court documents.
When he arrived, at the hospital, the boy was in full cardiac arrest, according to court documents.
His heart had to be restarted, and even then he could not breathe on his own.
Doctors took an assessment and told the boy's parents there was a 99 percent chance he would not survive.
If he did, according to the court documents, he would be so brain damaged he'd have no quality of life.
The boy also tested positive for methadone and was having seizures.
Two days later on Aug. 12, a nurse told a Fort Wayne Police detective that the boy was “not clinically brain dead but that his brain cells are dying,” according to court documents.
The same nurse said the boy would have had breathing problems 20 to 30 minutes after ingesting the methadone.
She also said in court documents that if treated quickly, he could survive.
The next day, the boy died.
Hogue was booked into Allen County Lockup shortly after the warrant for her arrest was issued.
She's being held on $10,000 bond.