You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Fire burns two apartments
    A fire in two apartments Wednesday afternoon forced the residents to find somewhere else to stay this Thanksgiving.The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called about 4:10 p.m.
  • 7 women arrested in prostitution sweep
    A Fort Wayne woman has been arrested on a felony charge of promoting prostitution, and six other women were arrested on misdemeanor prostitution charges, in a Web sweep conducted this week, city police said today.
  • Cause unclear as fire guts home
    A two story home went up in flames this morning and it took firefighters 18 minutes to get the fire under control, said Fort Wayne Fire Department Public Information Officer Stacy Fleming.

Animal cruelty charges for owner

– The dog was so weak that it could only stagger to its saviors and lie down at their feet.

At barely 20 pounds, the emaciated pit bull-Labrador mix should have weighed between 45 and 65 pounds.

Its home was the rear patio of a house.

The dog was left there for several months, with only weekly checks at most, by the person who found it.

Covering the floor of the patio were debris, trash and “mass amounts of feces,” according to a probable cause affidavit filed Wednesday in Allen Superior Court.

The bottom of the dog’s kennel was covered with feces about 3 inches deep.

That was in June 2013.

As a result of the horrid conditions in which the dog had lived for several months, 52-year-old Shawn J. Jamieson was charged Wednesday with one misdemeanor count of animal cruelty.

Jamieson, of the 4500 block of Spatz Avenue, told police he found the dog but then moved out of the home after the pipes broke during the winter.

He said he left the dog behind and would occasionally feed it, but not every day, and it had been more than a week since he last visited.

Jamieson told police he “had a lot going on in his life,” which was why he didn’t provide more care to the animal, he said.

When the dog arrived at a local emergency veterinarian clinic, it was so starved and dehydrated that it ate and drank voraciously after caregivers gave it just a small amount of water and food, the affidavit said.

More nutrients were given intravenously, and the dog gained 8 pounds in 12 days.

Court documents did not say what happened to the dog.