A woman and a child made it to safety Tuesday afternoon as fire consumed much of the house they were in.
Firefighters encountered flames roaring from a first-floor window, spreading upward into the attic of the home at 1509 Cass St., according to the fire department. The fire was so intense that it melted the siding of the home next door, the department said in a news release.
The woman and child in the home safely got out before the fire department arrived.
Firefighters had the fire under control in 12 minutes, but the home still sustained heavy fire and smoke damage.
The fire department said the fire started on the first floor and branched to the outside of the home through a window and then into the roof overhang.
No injuries were reported.