You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Video shows mom punching boy, 14
    A Grabill woman faces criminal charges after police said she was recorded on video punching her 14-year-old son in the face and stomach and unleashing a tirade of vulgarities at him.Meagen T.
  • Mother faces felony after bruises on son
    A Fort Wayne mother was charged with a felony after accusations she hit her child hard enough with her hand to leave significant bruising, including fingerprint impressionsLindsay Olson, 28, of the 2700 block of Witchwood Drive, was
  • Woman walking on Werling is robbed
    She was targeted and robbed because she walked alone at night.One man grabbed her, held something against her back and told her to shut up while another man rifled through her pockets and stole her cellphone.
Advertisement
Photos by Ben Mikesell | The Journal Gazette
Fort Wayne firefighters on the roof.

Child playing with lighter starts house fire

Firefighters had the fire under control in 12 minutes, but the home still sustained heavy fire and smoke damage.

Fort Wayne Fire Department investigators have determined that yesterday’s fire at 1509 Cass St. was caused by a child playing with a lighter.

A woman and the child made it to safety Tuesday afternoon as fire consumed much of the house they were in.

Firefighters encountered flames roaring from a first-floor window, spreading upward into the attic of the two-story home, according to the fire department. The fire was so intense that it melted the siding of the home next door, the department said in a statement.

The woman and child in the home safely got out before the fire department arrived.

Firefighters had the fire under control in 12 minutes, but the home still sustained heavy fire and smoke damage.

The fire department said the fire started on the first floor and branched to the outside of the home through a window and then into the roof overhang.

No injuries were reported.

Advertisement