You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Dog's former owner charged with cruelty
    As Loki, the dog lived a horrible life. Unable to escape his urine-soaked cage, he was starving, caked in feces and barely able to stand when Animal Care & Control found him in late March.
  • 5 charged in tool thefts at Lowe's
    Five people were charged Tuesday in what investigators say was an ongoing theft ring that targeted local Lowe's stores.
  • Spouse sought in stabbing
    A woman was hospitalized Tuesday night after police said a quarrel with her husband at their home near Warsaw ended with her suffering several stab wounds.
Advertisement

Boy's death likely caused by carbon monoxide

Authorities in Syracuse investigating the death of a 12-year-old boy found in his home Saturday said Tuesday the cause of death is consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning.

At the time of Skyler Spore’s death, there were two gas-powered generators running inside the home.

“The use of the gas powered generators appears to be the primary source of the carbon monoxide poisoning,” according to a statement issued by police Chief Anthony W. Ciriello.

Syracuse police and medics were called at 3:47 p.m. to the West Washington Street home where the boy lived. He was not breathing when they arrived, and his parents and a sibling were in the home when he died, police said.

Although the death appears to be the result of carbon monoxide poisoning, the chief said a final determination will be made after toxicology tests are completed, which could take a few weeks.

The cause and manner of death are to be released by the Kosciusko County Coroner’s Office.

Advertisement