You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

Rachel Von | The Journal Gazette
An armed officer heads down the 1800 block of Clover Lane to a stand-off at 1631 Hinton Drive on Saturday.

6-hour standoff with police ends in arrest

– A suspect in a Saturday morning domestic battery was arrested that night after a nearly six-hour standoff at his home.

The ordeal in the North Highlands neighborhood on Fort Wayne’s near-northwest side began Saturday morning when police were called to 1631 Hinton Drive on a domestic battery report.

But the man was gone when police arrived, said John Chambers, city police spokesman.

About 4:40 p.m., the victim called 911 when the man, later identified as Jeremy C. Elder Sr., returned to the house, Chambers said.

Chambers said the woman was able to leave the house when Elder returned, but he refused to come out or make contact with police.

After hours of failed phone calls, attempts to talk through a loudspeaker and a couple of flash-bang grenades, Elder finally walked out and sat on the front porch of the house about 10:30 p.m., Chambers said.

Elder would not lie down when ordered to by police, who eventually used a less-lethal option on him before they arrested him on a preliminary felony charge of domestic battery.

Chambers said he did not know what method was used.

The Fort Wayne Police Department’s Crisis Response and Emergency Services teams worked throughout the evening to make contact with Elder.

Officers approached the house on foot and with the department’s armored vehicle.

Several square blocks bordered by Tyler Avenue, Spring Street, Rumsey Avenue and Clover Lane were blocked by police cars or police tape, and residents in some homes were not able to make it to their houses until the situation was resolved.

Some residents near the house on Hinton Drive were evacuated.