You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Police out in force for wobbly drivers
    Police don’t want to ruin your Thanksgiving vacation, but they will put a damper on it if necessary. So, do yourself and others a favor:
  • Apartment residents flee smoke
    A fire smoked out some residents from their apartments and sent one person to a hospital early Tuesday. The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called about 5:10 a.m.
  • Northbound I-69 reopens in DeKalb after crash
    Northbound Interstate 69 in DeKalb County has reopened after a three-car crash closed both lanes this afternoon, Indiana State Police said.
Rachel Von | The Journal Gazette
An armed officer approaches the scene of a standoff in the 1600 block of Hinton Drive on Saturday.

Domestic battery suspect surrenders after 6-hour standoff

A suspect in a Saturday morning domestic battery was arrested later that night after a nearly six-hour standoff at his home.

The ordeal in the North Highlands neighborhood on Fort Wayne’s near-northwest side began Saturday morning when police were called to 1631 Hinton Drive on a domestic battery report. But the suspect was gone when police arrived, John Chambers, city police spokesman, said.

About 4:40.p.m., the victim called 911 when the man, later identified as Jeremy C. Elder Sr., returned to the house, Chambers said.

He said the woman was able to leave the house when Elder returned, but he refused to come out or make contact with police.

After hours of failed phone calls, attempts to talk through a loudspeaker and a couple of flash-bang grenades, Elder finally walked out and sat on the front porch of the house about 10:30 p.m., Chambers said.

Elder would not lie down when ordered to by police, who eventually used a less-lethal option on him before they arrested him on a preliminary felony charge of domestic battery.

Chambers said he did not know what method was used.

The department’s Crisis Response and Emergency Services teams worked throughout the evening to make contact with Elder. Officers approached the house on foot and with the department’s armored vehicle.

Several square blocks bordered by Tyler Avenue, Spring Street, Rumsey Avenue and Clover Lane were blocked by police cars or police tape and residents in some homes were not able to make it to their houses until the situation was resolved.

Some residents very near the house on Hinton Drive were evacuated.