You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • Toll Road issues wind ban
    The Indiana Toll Road has issued a wind ban for triples, long doubles and high-profile oversize permit loads in northwest Indiana through 7 a.m. Saturday.
  • Ind. gas utilities advise customers of energy aid
     INDIANAPOLIS – Indiana gas utilities are encouraging eligible customers to apply for government energy assistance and home weatherization services through local community action agencies.
  • State justices hear appeal of IBM ruling
    Lawyers for the state and IBM Corp. battled before the Indiana Supreme Court on Thursday over millions in state tax dollars related to the failed $1.3 billion welfare modernization contract.

Fort Wayne inmate gets 15 years in guard attack

NEW CASTLE, Ind. – An Indiana prison inmate from Fort Wayne has been sentenced to another 15 years behind bars for attacking a prison guard.

Cameron Israel Nelson, 22, was sentenced Monday, a month after a Henry County jury found him guilty of aggravated battery in the June 2013 attack at the New Castle Correctional Facility.

The Star Press reported ( ) witnesses said Nelson approached a 30-year-old guard as he was supervising a recreation period and punched the man in the face.

Prosecutors saod Nelson then stood over his fallen victim and punched him repeatedly in the head and face, leaving him with a broken jaw and other injuries.

Nelson won’t begin serving the new sentence until he completes an eight-year prison term imposed for the June 2011 robbery of a downtown bank.

In that robbery, Nelson walked into Fifth Third Bank, wearing a suit and tie, wrote a note on a deposit slip that announced a holdup and demanded cash, The Journal Gazette has reported.

The teller gave him the money but also a dye pack that exploded as he left the bank, according to court documents.

Fort Wayne police arrested Nelson at a gun store when he showed up there trying to buy a gun, according to police.

He represented himself during his trial.

Nelson was ordered to pay $2,145 in restitution to the bank.

In sentencing Nelson, Allen Superior Judge Fran Gull recommended he remain in maximum security.