You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • No answers after shots ring in city
    The vehicles raced down a city street, gunfire ringing out between them.
  • Blaze heavily damages home
    A Fort Wayne family won’t be able to spend Thanksgiving at home after a fire gutted their house Wednesday. Smoke and flames were already visible from the two-story home at 3920 S. Anthony Blvd.
  • Fire burns two apartments
    A fire in two apartments Wednesday afternoon forced the residents to find somewhere else to stay this Thanksgiving.The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called about 4:10 p.m.

DWI suspect held after flat-tire chase

– A Fort Wayne man was arrested early Wednesday, accused of leading police on a car chase from Noble County to downtown Fort Wayne despite having a flat tire for the last half of the chase.

About 12:45 a.m., the Noble County Sheriff’s Department got a call about a drunken man driving through Chain O’ Lakes State Park and creating a disturbance.

Police learned the driver was 44-year-old Charlie Marcum II, who had a lifetime driver’s license suspension.

Not long after police got the call, Marcum drove to the entrance of the park but would not get out of his car for police and instead headed toward Indiana 9 where he turned south, according to the Noble County Sheriff’s Department.

Marcum eventually turned south on U.S. 33 and led police to Churubusco, where a town police officer flattened one of Marcum’s front tires with spike strips on the north side of town, police said.

From there, the pursuit continued south on U.S. 33 and onto Goshen Road toward Fort Wayne.

Marcum then drove on St. Marys Avenue until he hit a dead end, pulled into a driveway and ran, the sheriff’s department said.

Officers said they chased Marcum down on foot and used a stun gun to subdue him before he was arrested.

Once in custody, police took Marcum to a Noble County hospital, where they said he tried several times to escape, authorities said.

Marcum was arrested on charges of operating a vehicle as a habitual traffic violator, resisting law enforcement with a vehicle, operating a vehicle while intoxicated and battery to a police officer resulting in bodily injury.