You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • Guilty plea filed in near-record marijuana haul
    A 51-year-old Indianapolis man pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court, admitting to dealing large quantities of marijuana shipped in appliances.
  • City to pay $15,000 in police shooting
    The city of Fort Wayne will pay $15,000 to the estate of a man killed by police in late December 2010. Originally filed in Allen Superior Court, the lawsuit was transferred to federal court.
  • Warsaw printer accused over firing
    The Indiana Civil Rights Commission found probable cause that a Warsaw company discriminated against a pregnant employee. According to a press release issued Friday, the Warsaw location of R.

Family sues convict in gruesome death of loved one in 2012

– In August 2012, Michael Alexander beat Gregory Funich to death inside Funich’s Lonesome Oak Court home.

In August 2013, Alexander was sentenced to 50 years in prison after he pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter. Now, Funich’s surviving family members are suing Alexander for his role in their loved one’s wrongful death.

According to court documents, Funich’s partner found his body inside the home, blood spattered everywhere and his head fractured into small pieces. Alexander was arrested before Funich’s body was discovered, pulled over by IPFW police.

The car belonged to Funich, 42, and a drunken Alexander was carrying his wallet, covered in blood.

During Alexander’s sentencing hearing, Funich’s father and surviving brother spoke of their horrific grief and loss. Funich’s mother died not long after her son was killed, according to testimony.

On Tuesday, Sam Funich Sr. and Sam Funich Jr. sued on behalf of Gregory Funich’s estate, seeking damages for emotional distress caused by Alexander’s intentional act.

Alexander, who was 34 when he was sentenced, is serving time in the Indiana State Prison in Michigan City. He is not scheduled for release until September 2037.