You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Police arrest Warsaw man in connection with bank robbery
    An additional arrest has been made in connection with a bank robberythat happened in North Webster on Sept. 12, Kosciusko County PublicInformation Officer Chad Hill said Monday.
  • Shooting victim identified
    The victim of Sunday morning's shooting was 21-year-old Alan John Puff of Fort Wayne, the Allen County Coroner?s office said. Puff was shot at 12:55 a.m. on the 600 Block of E.
  • Details few after 2 shot, 1 fatally
    One man died and another was seriously wounded in a shooting on East Rudisill Boulevard early Sunday, police said.The men had not been identified Sunday night.

Driver charged in cellphone robbery

A Fort Wayne man was charged Thursday with robbery and other counts after he was accused of blocking a moving car and robbing the driver of his phone while the victim’s small child was in the car.

The victim told police he was at the intersection of Shaper and Austin drives on May 31 when a car pulled out and blocked his path.

The driver of that car, Tyquan T. Stewart, 33, entered the front passenger seat of the victim’s car, grabbed a cellphone and began to fight with the driver for control of the phone, according to a probable cause affidavit.

The victim said Stewart, of the 4500 block of Austin Drive, started to punch the victim’s hands to keep him from getting back the phone.

The victim’s 4-year-old son was in the back seat, the report said.

The victim said the only reason he didn’t try to prevent Stewart from getting in the car was because he looked like he was in trouble and needed help.

After Stewart fled the area, he crashed his car into a house and ran from the scene, the affidavit said.

Police linked him with the crash because he was wearing only one shoe when they found him – the mate to a shoe in the wrecked car.

Stewart was being held Thursday evening in lieu of $11,500 bail on charges of robbery and two counts of failure to stop after an accident.