You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Business

  • Downtown banking to grow
    Another bank is opening teller lines in downtown Fort Wayne.First Financial Bank and city officials have scheduled an announcement for 10 a.m. today in the Courthouse Green across from the Anthon ...
  • Lincoln earnings rise 26%
    Lincoln National Corp. on Wednesday reported sec­ond-quarter earnings of $398 million, or $1.48 per diluted common share, a 26 percent increase from the $317 million, or $1.15 a sh ...
  • Economy rebounds with fast 4% growth
    WASHINGTON – The U.S. economy has rebounded with vigor from a grim start to 2014 and should show renewed strength into next year.That was the general view of analysts Wed­nesday after the g ...
Advertisement

GM launching program to compensate victims

– General Motors plans to launch a program to compensate crash victims or families affected by an ignition switch problem that is linked to at least 13 deaths in crashes of older GM cars.

The company said it expects the program will start accepting claims Aug. 1. Guidelines and other details will be developed in the coming weeks by compensation expert Kenneth Feinberg, GM said.

GM has recalled 2.6 million small cars to repair the ignition switches. A report issued Thursday said it took GM more than a decade to issue the recall because, in part, employees failed to view the switch defect as a safety problem.

GM announced the hiring of Feinberg in April. He previously handled the Sept. 11 Victim Compensation Fund as well as funds for victims of the Boston Marathon bombing and the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Feinberg told The Associated Press that the timeline means “I have my work cut out for me.”

He said that during the next few weeks, he’ll speak with plaintiff’s lawyers, lawmakers, public interest groups and GM officials.

“I’ll propose some ideas based on my experience that will form the basis for a … compensation program,” he said.

CEO Mary Barra said Thursday morning that the report by former U.S. Attorney Anton Valukas found a pattern of incompetency and neglect, but not a cover-up, at the heart of the Detroit automaker’s long delay in dealing with the faulty switches.

Barra said the company would “do the right things for those who were harmed” and “everything in our power to make sure this never happens again.”

The internal investigation and Barra’s remarks don’t deter Lance Cooper, a Georgia-based personal injury attorney who represents victims suing GM.

Cooper said in a statement that documents produced in one lawsuit show that GM opted not to fix the safety defects in cars “for cost reasons.”

“This is why it is critical that the civil cases move forward so that the American public may learn the whole truth, not just the truth GM chooses to disclose,” he said.

Feinberg said he’s been focused on his task, not the investigation, so he can’t comment on the latter’s findings or how they might affect those suing GM.

“That’s up to them – it’s a voluntary program I’m establishing,” he said. “The alternative is protracted litigation.”

Advertisement