A long-smoldering fire in the attic of a southwest Fort Wayne home was put out in about 15 minutes early Thursday.
About 12:30 a.m., the Fort Wayne Fire Department was called to 434 W. Dewald St. after neighbors saw smoke coming from the roof, according to the fire department.
The residents evacuated the home before firefighters arrived and located a smoldering fire in the attic.
The department got the fire under control in 14 minutes but had to stay at the home longer to remove the insulation from the attic, according to a news release.
The Red Cross was called to assist the residents.