You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Features

  • People and places
    Giving back• Lutheran Life Villages received a $25,000 Foellinger Foundation Limited Asset Improvement Grant that will be used for a handicap-accessible vehicle.
  • Cricket farmers look to expand market as food
    When you’re on the frontier of food – a land full of experimentation – sometimes you have to sleep with the lights on.Jakub Dzamba, a Ph.D.
  • New ArtsLab named for Parkview Physicians Group
    The newly added ArtsLab downtown has a new name to honor Parkview Physician Group’s significant donation for the expansion of the Arts Campus, Arts United president Susan Mendenhall announced today.
Advertisement
StatePoint

Meditation fights stress

Stress is not only unpleasant; it can be overwhelming, ultimately preventing you from solving the problems that caused the stress in the first place.

But getting focused can help you feel happier and be more successful professionally, financially and in your relationships, experts say.

“Rather than living with fear or regret, you can turn your life’s most difficult challenges into the best thing that has ever happened to you,” says Master DDnard, self-help guru and author of “The Compass of Now,” a guide for taking control of one’s life, which is already a best-seller in Thailand.

The key to reducing harmful stress in your life is to incorporate meditation into your day, DDnard says. She offers these tips for getting started:

Separate yourself from your feelings. Remember that your thoughts and feelings are impermanent, so try not to be consumed by your emotions. Freeing yourself from an internal negative loop can improve your mood and have a positive effect on your external circumstances.

Give and share. Concentrate on giving and sharing your happiness. “When you do so, you’ll attract goodness, good people and prosperity,” she says.

Focus on possibilities. A good ratio is to spend 5 percent of your time thinking about a problem, and the other 95 percent thinking about solutions. Avoid dwelling on limitations that hold you back.

Appreciate. Each day, set aside time to put down your electronic devices and turn off the television. Meditation can help you appreciate the world around you – the color of the sky, the smiles of your loved ones, the warmth of your family and friends.

Be satisfied. You can “choose” to be happy regardless of your circumstances, DDnard says. So concentrate on what you have and it being “enough,” rather than on your desires that are unfulfilled. That way of thinking tends to be negative and unhelpful toward setting and meeting goals.

More tips and advice for reducing stress can be found at CompassOfNow.com.

“In a society oversaturated with technology, we’ve lost our ability to focus,” DDnard says.

“But being mindful and tapping into your intuitive center can help you reach your full potential.”

– StatePoint

Advertisement