You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • No answers after shots ring in city
    The vehicles raced down a city street, gunfire ringing out between them.
  • Blaze heavily damages home
    A Fort Wayne family won’t be able to spend Thanksgiving at home after a fire gutted their house Wednesday. Smoke and flames were already visible from the two-story home at 3920 S. Anthony Blvd.
  • Fire burns two apartments
    A fire in two apartments Wednesday afternoon forced the residents to find somewhere else to stay this Thanksgiving.The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called about 4:10 p.m.

Nearby blazes test city fire department

Two fires minutes apart and two blocks away from each other kept the Fort Wayne Fire Department busy in the wee hours of Saturday morning.

About 2:45 a.m., firefighters responded to a report of a house fire near Colerick Street and Plaza Drive in southeast Fort Wayne.

As firefighters neared the area, they found the front of the home at 2012 Colerick St. on fire, according to a statement from the fire department.

While firefighters worked to get the fire under control, another fire about two blocks south on Euclid Avenue was reported.

Crews at the Colerick Street house split and sent firefighters to the newest report on Euclid, the department said.

When they arrived, firefighters found an unattached garage fully engulfed in flames near the alley at the rear of the house at 3205 Euclid Ave., according to the statement.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames and prevented any damage to nearby buildings, the statement said.

Both the Colerick Street home and Euclid Avenue garage were abandoned, according to the fire department. The house was also the site of two previous fires.

Fire officials said Saturday there wasn’t any indication yet that the two fires Saturday morning were connected.

Both fires remain under investigation.