You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Apartment residents flee smoke
    A fire smoked out some residents from their apartments and sent one person to a hospital early Tuesday. The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called about 5:10 a.m.
  • Northbound I-69 reopens in DeKalb after crash
    Northbound Interstate 69 in DeKalb County has reopened after a three-car crash closed both lanes this afternoon, Indiana State Police said.
  • Police warn of potential phone scam
    Someone is calling Kendallville residents and telling them they have won money or a new car. Kendallville police say it’s a potential scam.

10 charges lodged in beating, fleeing case

A Fort Wayne man faces 10 criminal charges after he was accused of dragging his wife down an apartment building hallway, punching her and taking two teenage girls on a harrowing car ride, including driving into oncoming traffic.

Eventually, 44-year-old Timothy D. Jones crashed into a tree and was swarmed by police who found him thrashing around his car, banging his head on the door frame and telling officers they would have to shoot him, according to the affidavit filed Friday in Allen Superior Court.

Jones, of the 1900 block of Ardmore Avenue, was charged with three counts of criminal confinement, two counts of neglect of a dependent and two counts of resisting law enforcement, all felonies. He was also charged with interfering with the reporting of a crime, domestic battery and driving while suspended as misdemeanors.

According to the domestic violence report, Jones dragged his wife down the hallway of their apartment Monday and then drove to his stepdaughter’s high school with a 17-year-old neighbor, but not before drinking alcohol and consuming prescription pills, the report said.

After Jones picked up his stepdaughter, he took the two teens on a terrifying ride in which they were “afraid for their lives,” the report said. Jones crashed into two cars and the teens escaped after the second crash, they told police.

Jones then returned to his apartment, fought with his wife again and left, which is when police picked up his trail and gave pursuit when he refused to stop, the report said.

He eventually crashed into a tree, and police fired bean bag rounds at him before they removed him from the car, according to the affidavit. Once at the hospital, he continued to fight with police as he tried to eat some pills in his pockets, according to the affidavit.

He was being held Friday in lieu of $33,000 bail.