You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

Advertisement

Boy playing with lighter started fire

A fire Sunday on McKee Street was accidentally caused by a child playing with a lighter.

Now, the Fort Wayne Fire Department is warning citizens to keep lighters and matches away from children.

A woman and her 4-year-old son were at a home in the 1300 block of McKee at the time the fire broke out at 8 p.m.

The woman escaped. Firefighters found the boy in the home hiding inside an entertainment-center cabinet.

He was safely evacuated and treated, along with his mother, for minor smoke inhalation.

The fire department offered these safety tips in a news release:

•Secure lighters and matches out of reach and away from children.

•Educate your children on the dangers caused by experimenting with fire.

•Be sure to have working smoke detectors inside the home and change their batteries annually.

•Have an escape plan.

•Practice your escape plan. Plan and practice how to safely get out in case of a fire.

Advertisement