You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Dog's former owner charged with cruelty
    As Loki, the dog lived a horrible life. Unable to escape his urine-soaked cage, he was starving, caked in feces and barely able to stand when Animal Care & Control found him in late March.
  • 5 charged in tool thefts at Lowe's
    Five people were charged Tuesday in what investigators say was an ongoing theft ring that targeted local Lowe's stores.
  • Spouse sought in stabbing
    A woman was hospitalized Tuesday night after police said a quarrel with her husband at their home near Warsaw ended with her suffering several stab wounds.
Advertisement

Firefighters: McKee blaze caused by child playing with lighter

Sunday's fire on McKee Street was accidentally caused by a child playing with a lighter, the Fort Wayne Fire Department said today.

A woman and her 4-year-old son were at home at the time of the 8 p.m. fire in the 1300 block of McKee, the fire department has said.

The woman escaped and told police the child was inside, firefighters said. They said he was found hiding inside an entertainment-center cabinet and was evacuated.

Both were treated at a local hospital for minor smoke inhalation, firefighters said.

They said residents should:

  • Secure lighters and matches away from children.
  • Educate your children on the dangers caused by experimenting with fire.
  • Be sure to have working smoke detectors inside the home. Change their batteries annually.
  • Have an escape plan.
  • Practice your escape plan. Plan and practice how to safely get out in case of a fire.

Advertisement