You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Motorcyclist hurt in crash with car
    A male motorcyclist suffered serious head injuries and was taken to the hospital in critical condition Monday afternoon after his Suzuki collided with a Buick at awest-central intersection.
  • Decatur woman ID'd in fatality
    Forty-nine-year-old Ronda Cowans was identified Monday as the woman killed in a single-vehicle crash Sunday on U.S. 27.
  • Equipment accident leaves city man dead
    A northeastern Indiana coroner says a Fort Wayne man died from a head injury he suffered when a scissor-lift toppled inside a factory as he was installing a safety feature on a crane.
Courtesy Allen County Sheriff's Department
David Randal Cocklin

1 arrested, charged in fatal stabbing

A Fort Wayne man was arrested and charged with felony murder Monday in connection to the fatal stabbing May 1 at a city gas station.

David Randal Cocklin, 56, was arrested Monday.

He was being held at the Allen County Jail without bond.

About 8:20 p.m. May 1, police were called to the Clark station at Wayne Trace and Drexel Avenue after a report of a fight and possible stabbing.

Officers found Raynell C. White, 30, suffering from a wound to his chest in the gas station parking lot near the street.

He was taken in critical condition to Lutheran Hospital where he died shortly thereafter of a stab wound to the chest, according to the Allen County coroner's office.

White's death marked the fourth homicide for Fort Wayne and Allen County in 2014, according to the coroner's office.

Witnesses told police White and Cocklin were seen fighting in the parking lot.

Cocklin fled from the area after the stabbing, but was found a short time later in a pickup truck. He was held as a person of interest, but charges were not immediately filed, police said.

The motive behind the fight remains unclear, and it's not known whether the men were customers at the gas station or just passing through, police said.

The case remains under investigation.