Park statues, old schoolhouses and General Electric’s former campus are among the landmarks recognized as some of Allen County’s most endangered places.
ARCH – Architecture and Community Heritage – on Monday issued a statement announcing its annual Most Endangered list and ARCHie Award winners, which were also recognized Friday during an open house.
The annual list includes architecture and landmarks affected by changing uses, vacancy, deterioration, obsolescence or nearby new development.
The winners of the 2014 ARCHie Awards were also announced during the open house.
The awards recognize local property owners for preservation efforts.
Ralph and Annamarie Wiekart were honored for single-family rehabilitation for the rehab of their home at 1020 W. Washington Blvd.
Scott and Kimberly Moor and The Burnell Group received commendations for single-family rehabilitation at 816 Jackson St. and 1121 W. Jefferson Blvd., respectively.
817 S. Calhoun LLC/Scott and Melissa Glaze received the award for commercial rehabilitation for their refurbishing of a mixed-use building at 817 S. Calhoun St.
Matthew McCoy received the Leonard G. Murphy Award for Commercial Rehabilitation at 1122 Broadway.
Josefa Schaper and Brian Schaper received the ARCHie Award for adaptive reuse at 2042 Broadway, the Metro Realty/Hildebrand Hardware building.
Matthew Reibs, ARCH volunteer and high school senior, received the Emerging Preservationist Award for organizing clean-up days at the Broadway buildings, attending workshops and creating the Facebook page Save 226 W. Wayne.
The Volunteer of the Year award was given to Pat Thomson for her work maintaining the Rankin House flower beds, being a multiyear home tour volunteer and organizing the Southwood Park Home Tour.
The Outreach Award went to the Historic Beltline Tour in the Williams-Woodland Neighborhood. The project used multiple funding sources to create a walking tour based in the streetcar neighborhoods of Williams-Woodland and Hoagland-Masterson.
ARCH began accepting nominations in February for the Most Endangered list and the ARCHie Awards.
The organization has compiled a list of endangered historic resources in Allen County since 1992.
The list of endangered properties:
Brookview-Irvington Park National Register Historic District, threatened by a public-works project that could demolish houses along State Boulevard.
Historic roadside architecture including road signs from the 1930s through the 1970s and historic gas stations.
Fort Wayne Bible College including: Bethany Hall, built in 1930; Shultz Hall, built in 1904; and Hausser Hall, built in 1965. Bethany and Schultz Halls are on the north side of West Rudisill Boulevard, and Hausser Hall is on the north side of Lexington Avenue.
The S.F. Bowser administration building on Creighton Avenue, once the headquarters of a gas pump maker, now threatened after the Fort Wayne Police Department moved out.
Statues and tree canopies, including a statue at Memorial Park dedicated to Olen J. Pond and World War I veterans. The statue is headless and in need of repair. The emerald ash borer has affected street trees across the city, causing them to die and be removed.
Foster Park Pavilion No. 3 on the west side of the park is unused and vandalized. It was built in the 1930s.
¦Joseph and Elnora Bash Hughes house, 1122 W. Wayne St., built in 1877, was damaged by fire in 2012 and is vacant.
¦Franklin School, on St. Marys Avenue, and Elmhurst High School are threatened by vacancy and facing uncertainty and possible demolition.
C.F. Bleke farmhouse, 13212 N. Lima Road, built in 1875, in need of repairs.
Leland Block on South Calhoun Street and the Coca-Cola plant on East Pontiac Street that served streetcar riders throughout the city during the early 20th century.
The Canal House now sits vacant and is surrounded by a empty bus depot and parking lot on Superior Street. Due to unique construction, the Canal House cannot be moved.
General Electric Co.’s Broadway campus after officials announced this year all operations would close in Fort Wayne.