You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Indiana

  • Changes urged for state ethics code
    INDIANAPOLIS – Indiana’s outgoing Inspector General wants lawmakers to make several key changes to state ethics code – including adding transparency to the use of post-employment waivers and strengthening conflict-of-
  • St. Joseph County rejects joining Toll Road venture
    SOUTH BEND – St. Joseph County is the latest to balk at joining a multicounty consortium trying to lease the Indiana Toll Road.
  • Lottery operator not winning
    INDIANAPOLIS – The Hoosier Lottery’s private operator is expected to miss its revenue goals for the second time and pay another penalty, officials told the State Budget Committee on Thursday.
Advertisement

Dropped cigarette blamed in fatal fire

SANTA CLAUS, Ind. – State police say a fatal house fire in a southern Indiana town began after a woman with a disability dropped a cigarette.

Police said 65-year-old Bryan Gregory died Friday when fire gutted his home in a gated community in Santa Claus, about 40 miles northeast of Evansville.

Gregory’s 66-year-old wife Maureen Gregory was able to escape. Police said Bryan Gregory apparently passed out from smoke inhalation as he tried to get out of the burning house.

Maureen Gregory was airlifted to a Louisville, Ky., hospital with first degree burns and smoke inhalation. Police said she was listed in stable condition.

Investigators believe the fire was started accidentally when Maureen Gregory dropped a cigarette in the living room and was unable to bend over to pick it up.

Advertisement