You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • No answers after shots ring in city
    The vehicles raced down a city street, gunfire ringing out between them.
  • Blaze heavily damages home
    A Fort Wayne family won’t be able to spend Thanksgiving at home after a fire gutted their house Wednesday. Smoke and flames were already visible from the two-story home at 3920 S. Anthony Blvd.
  • Fire burns two apartments
    A fire in two apartments Wednesday afternoon forced the residents to find somewhere else to stay this Thanksgiving.The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called about 4:10 p.m.
Samuel Hoffman | The Journal Gazette
Medical workers and a Norfolk Southern investigator stand near the Waynedale crossing where a man walked into the path of a train and was killed.

Train death ruled suicide

– FORT WAYNE – A pedestrian who was killed after he stepped in front of a train Thursday in southwest Fort Wayne has been identified.

Witnesses told police the man arrived in a car at the crossing on Lower Huntington Road and then walked onto the tracks when the train arrived at the crossing.

“Once the train came to the intersection, he just went in front of it,” Michael Joyner, Fort Wayne police spokesman, said at the scene.

Anthony R. Silva, 37, Fort Wayne, was dead when police and rescuers arrived at the crossing. The Allen County Coroner’s Office identified him Friday.

The crossing is between Bluffton Road and Ardmore Avenue in Waynedale. Joyner said the train was headed east and took about three quarters of a mile to stop after it struck the man.

The train had 120 freight cars and three locomotives, according to Susan Terpay, director of pubic relations for Norfolk Southern. The speed limit is 30 mph for trains in the area where the man was struck, she said.

The crossing arms were down and two cars were stopped at the crossing when the man was hit, Joyner said. He said the man approached the tracks from the east.

The train was headed north and was not able to stop until Sandpoint Road, police said.

Silva was struck about 1:10 p.m., and Lower Huntington Road near the tracks was closed about 2 1/2 hours.

The man is at least the third person in the community to die after stepping in front of an area train in the last eight months.

In August, a young couple left several notes at their nearby Bluffton apartment before walking into the path of a train.

Samuel Stirlen, 26, and his wife, Kayla, 24, parked their car in a nearby lot and walked to the railroad tracks. A witness told police the couple approached the tracks and intentionally moved in front of the train.