You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

Advertisement

3 teachers escape carbon monoxide at Amish school

TOPEKA – Authorities in northern Indiana say three Amish school teachers escaped a small schoolhouse that had filled with carbon monoxide gas.

Topeka Fire Chief Stewart Bender said the three teachers lived in the school in a rural area of LaGrange County. Bender told The News Sun (http://bit.ly/1hBlatk ) one of the teachers woke up about 5:30 a.m. Tuesday and alerted the others, one of who was initially unresponsive.

Bender said the three showed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and were vomiting. One teacher was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, while medics treated the others at the scene about 40 miles northwest of Fort Wayne.

He said the carbon monoxide was traced to an exhaust leak on a well water pump and a damaged stove pipe.

Advertisement