From reports received Friday morning:
The Allen County Highway Department reports the following road conditions caused by high water:
CLOSED TO THROUGH TRAFFIC:
- Cook Road east of Butt Road
- West Hamilton Road north of Aboite Center Road
- Ellison Road between Branstrator Road and Liberty Mills Road
- Houk Road between Maples Road and Rohrbach Road
- Parent Road between Hartzell Road and Maplecrest Road
The highway department reminds motorists that if they encounter a flooded roadway, be sure to "Turn Around, Don't Drown."
According to the National Weather Service, most flash flooding deaths are vehicle related. Six inches of standing water is enough to cause passenger cars to stall and a foot of water will float many vehicles. Motorists should never drive through flooded roadways, especially if the water is moving rapidly, and never drive around the barriers warning you that the road is flooded.