You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

The Scoop

Advertisement

Major Moves 2020 highway projects announced

Statement as issued Thursday by the Indiana governor’s office and INDOT:

Indianapolis – Governor Mike Pence today directed the State Budget Agency to release funding for the “Major Moves 2020” highway construction program. Pence joined House Speaker Brian Bosma to announce initial plans for investing up to $400 million in the next generation of highway expansion.

“Roads mean jobs, and Major Moves 2020 will improve Indiana’s transportation infrastructure to enhance our position as the Crossroads of America,” said Governor Pence. “Major Moves 2020 will put Hoosiers to work now and reinforce Indiana’s position as a national transportation hub and a global distribution powerhouse. It is one of the reasons Indiana continues to be recognized as a great place to do business.”

“Transferring up to $400M to improve and expand major infrastructure in our state translates into thousands of jobs for Hoosiers. Approving this transfer could allow us to leverage federal funding. I am pleased we were able to deliver on our promise to improve Indiana’s transportation system this session while remaining fiscally responsible. Indiana is the Crossroads of America, and we made strides this session to maintain that prestigious reputation,” said Speaker Bosma.

Last week, Governor Pence signed HEA 1002 into law. The legislation invest $200 million in projects immediately and allows Indiana to expand heavily-traveled sections of four-lane interstates – two lanes in each direction – that are now approaching 50 years of age. Initial design-build contracts will be bid later this year for:

• I-65 between State Road 44 near Franklin and Southport Road in Indianapolis

• I-65 in the Lafayette area from State Road 38 to State Road 26

Following December’s revenue forecast and Budget Committee review, the new law allows the state to release $200 million for additional interstate expansion projects:

• I-65 in the Lafayette area from State Road 26 to State Road 25

• I-69 from State Road 37 in Fishers to State Road 13 in Madison County

• I-65 from Sellersburg (Exit 9) to Memphis (Exit 16) in Clark County

Total funding of $400 million invested within one year is expected to support more than 9,800 jobs for Hoosiers. Last year Governor Pence also dedicated hundreds of millions in additional dollars for Indiana’s roads and bridges. Since 2013, under the governor’s leadership, the state has made a total of $800 million in new money available for roads and bridges, including $200 million for local governments.

Governor Pence also marked the ceremonial start to highway construction season by proclaiming April 7-11 as Work Zone Awareness Week in Indiana. Drivers are urged to join the Indiana Department of Transportation and its contractors in improving highway work zone safety.

Send items for The Scoop to jgnews@jg.net.

Advertisement