A family of four escaped unharmed early Friday after smoke detectors failed to alert them when their Steuben County home caught fire, officials said.
The family, including two boys, ages 8 months and 22 months, lost all of their belongings. The two-story farmhouse sustained $80,000 in damage, according to T.R. Hagerty, spokesperson for the Angola Fire Department.
It took firefighters 10 minutes to get to the 3 a.m. fire at 9065 E. Metz Road and about an hour to bring the blaze under control, Hagerty said.
The house was fully engulfed, and the flames downed nearby power lines on a vehicle parked in the driveway, setting it on fire.
Efforts to extinguish the fire were hampered by high winds.
Later, paramedics bought a car seat to replace the one lost in the car fire, Hagerty said. The Red Cross assisted the family with emergency care and lodging, he said.
Angola and Metz firefighters were assisted by fire departments from Hamilton, Fremont and Hudson and Florence, Northwest and Steuben townships. The Steuben County EMS and sheriff’s department and Indiana State Police also assisted at the scene.