You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.



Inmate guilty in attack on guard

Lunch-tray beating led to vision damage


As Allen County confinement officer Quinton Greer held the photographs in his hand, he seemed to come up short.

A big man, Greer filled the witness stand, and even though the images were printed on 8 1/2 -by-11-inch pieces of paper, they seemed small in his hands.

That is me, he testified. Right after I was brought into the hospital.

Just before 11:30 Christmas morning, 19-year-old Deadrian Boykins pummeled the much-larger Greer with a plastic lunch tray, fracturing bones in his face, smashing his nose and causing permanent hearing and vision damage.

In November, an Allen Superior Court jury convicted Boykins of the April murder of 17-year-old Elijah O. Freeman. A few days before the attack on the guard, Boykins received his sentence in that case.

Awaiting transfer to the Indiana Department of Correction to begin serving his 65-year sentence for murder, Boykins attacked Greer as the guard was collecting lunch trays.

Prosecutors charged him with aggravated battery – causing serious permanent disfigurement or substantial risk of death.

Sneaking up alongside Greer, Boykins hit him in the head, according to testimony during his trial before Allen Superior Court Judge Fran Gull. As the guard became woozy, Boykins hit him again, using his fists and the hard plastic lunch trays.

During the bench trial, Boykins smirked as three guards testified about how they found Greer in a pool of blood on the floor in Cell Block H.

As a recording of his interview with detectives played, Boykins seemed proud of himself as he described Greer’s actions that he said led to the attack.

Boykins told investigators he wanted the TV left on in the block to “spread some holiday cheer.” When Greer shut it off, Boykins said Greer referenced the teenager Boykins had killed and asked where his holiday cheer would be.

“I feel he was unprofessional,” Boykins told investigators on the recording. “I already warned him.”

Not long after that, as Greer went about his duties, Boykins attacked him.

Greer told Gull he wasn’t sure what hit him but knows he got dizzy and collapsed to the floor. Attempts to kick Boykins away were unsuccessful, and the inmate began pounding Greer’s face with his fists.

“I was scared,” Greer said. “I thought for sure I was going to die, right there on that floor.”

Because the trial did not involve a jury, it took much less time. Gull deliberated Tuesday afternoon and convicted Boykins of the aggravated battery charge.

Boykins’ court-appointed defense attorney, Zach Witte, focused on the lack of medical evidence presented by the prosecution. The state did not call a doctor or present physical evidence or testimony about the severity of Greer’s injuries, instead relying on Greer’s own description and the testimony of those who found him on the floor.

Boykins faces an additional prison sentence of six to 20 years when he is sentenced in mid-April.