Statement as issued Tuesday by Lt. Governor Ellspermann:
Indianapolis – Lt. Governor Sue Ellspermann today announced the winners of the 2014 Hoosier Women Artist Contest at a ceremony held at the Indiana Statehouse. The contest is held in conjunction with Women's History Month and the competition is in its seventh year.
Winners of the Hoosier Women Artist Contest will have their artwork displayed in the Lieutenant Governor's office for one year. The contest celebrates a variety of artistic interests including drawings, paintings and photography. Past entries have included – but are not limited to – portraits, landscapes, animals, buildings and abstracts.
"This contest is another way for our state to showcase the talented and creative artists we have in our state," said Lt. Governor Ellspermann. "I am looking forward to the artwork being displayed in my front office and thank each artist for sharing their work with visitors from all over the world."
The winning artwork was judged and selected by Lt. Governor Ellspermann and Dr. Laura Holzman, Assistant Professor of Art History and Museum Studies at the Herron School of Art and Design at IUPUI.
Visitors are encouraged to stop by Room 333 in the Indiana Statehouse to view the art with friends and family during normal business hours.
The winning artists, the title and type of artwork and their hometowns are listed below:
- Kendal R. Miller -- South Fork Creek in Snow -- B&W Photography – Dillsboro
- Valerie K. McBride -- Forgotten Tracks -- Acrylic & India Ink -- Grabill
- Shirley L. Woolard -- Waiting to Rock – Watercolor -- Indianapolis
- Marie Arch – PEACE – Pastel -- South Bend
- Carol J. Estes -- The Jury is Out – Photography -- LaPorte
- Ann Palmer -- The Diner – Photography -- Zionsville
- Lisa L. Bemish -- BFF's – Oil -- Tippecanoe
- Abbie S. Parmele - From Within – Oil -- Rensselaer
- Bev Spencer – Camouflage – Photography -- Plymouth
- Venita K. Henderson -- Young Dove – Acrylic -- Frankfort
- Laura Cutler -- The Roofer – Charcoal – LaPorte