You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • Noble seeks Kentucky rape suspect
    The Noble County Sheriff's Department said today it is asking for the public's help in locating a man wanted in Kentucky on rape, sodomy and sexual abuse charges.
  • Highway patrol plans sobriety checkpoint
    The Ohio State Highway Patrol, in conjunction with the Van Wert and Paulding County sheriff's offices and the Scott Police Department, said today it plans to operate a sobriety checkpoint this week.
  • Fatal wrecks dot weekend in 3 area counties
    It was a deadly few days on area roads, with law enforcement and emergency responders dealing with fatal crashes in three northeast Indiana counties.

Police standoffs end with two in custody

SWAT teams able to defuse threats in separate cases

Fort Wayne police were busy early Friday with a pair of standoffs, both of which ended peacefully.

At 2:47 a.m., in the 2500 block of Thompson Avenue, police tried to serve a felony warrant on Larry Hayden Jr.

Hayden, 24, was wanted on charges of armed robbery, possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon, escape, intimidation, two counts of resisting law enforcement and one count of possession of paraphernalia.

Charged in October, he bonded out in November but violated the terms of his pretrial release by failing to maintain contact with the courts.

Hayden’s bond of $39,750 was revoked and a warrant was issued for his arrest in early February, according to court records.

When police arrived at the Thompson Avenue home, Hayden said he was armed, refusing to come outside.

For several hours, members of the Fort Wayne Police Department’s Crisis Response Team tried to make contact with Hayden, but were unsuccessful, police said.

Then officers with the Emergency Services Team, also known as a SWAT team, put tear gas into the home. Hayden came out a short time later and surrendered to police, police said.

In the other standoff, at 7:48 a.m. a suicidal teenage boy had barricaded himself inside a bedroom in a home in the 3500 block of Dicke Road.

Officers spoke with him through an open window, and saw that he had armed himself with a knife, police said.

Again the Emergency Services and Crisis Response teams were called to the scene. CRT officers negotiated with him for several hours and then officers were able to take him into custody, police said.

He was transported to a hospital for a mental health evaluation, police said.