You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Police and fire

  • No answers after shots ring in city
    The vehicles raced down a city street, gunfire ringing out between them.
  • Blaze heavily damages home
    A Fort Wayne family won’t be able to spend Thanksgiving at home after a fire gutted their house Wednesday. Smoke and flames were already visible from the two-story home at 3920 S. Anthony Blvd.
  • Fire burns two apartments
    A fire in two apartments Wednesday afternoon forced the residents to find somewhere else to stay this Thanksgiving.The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called about 4:10 p.m.

Woman charged in attack with machete, fire

Victim was tied, hit with board

Tamekia M. Spivey

They tied him up with his own belt after swinging a machete into his left wrist, striking an artery.

At some point, they hit him in the head with a board and then poured gasoline on him and set him on fire.

When Marcus Boone staggered out of the house in the 3500 block of Lillie Street on the afternoon of Nov. 14, he left a trail of blood to Winter and Oxford streets – all of this according to news reports.

While he was unable to tell police at the time how he obtained his injuries, in the days following the attack, he identified two people as the culprits.

On Tuesday, Tamekia M. Spivey, 36, was charged with battery causing injury, a Class C felony punishable by up to eight years in prison, and criminal recklessness, a Class D felony punishable by up to three years, in the attack on Boone.

The second individual, Spivey's boyfriend, David Hunter, has not been charged in the case.

According to court documents, Boone went to a house to talk to Spivey and Hunter about money.

The discussion turned violent when Hunter accused Boone of stealing money from him.

At that point, Spivey grabbed the machete and began swinging at Boone.

A witness told police he saw Hunter pin Boone to the sofa as Spivey hit him in the head with a board, according to court documents.

Boone told police he was knocked unconscious and that when he awoke, he smelled gasoline, according to court documents.

Boone said he realized someone had doused him with fuel, and he saw Spivey with a lighter.

He said he heard Hunter telling Spivey to set him on fire, and she moved the lighter closer until the fumes ignited, according to court records.

Flames engulfed Boone, and he suffered burns to 23 percent of his body.

Another witness told police he heard Boone, Hunter and Spivey quarreling over money.

He said he saw Spivey stab at Boone with the machete and then saw Hunter and Spivey tie him up and drag him into the kitchen, according to court documents.

When police arrived at the scene, they found Boone's smoldering clothes near the Lillie Street home.