Got a little time on Sunday to read the story behind the story? How about a video that will make you grin? I spend a couple of hours on Saturdays looking for stories and items worth sharing.
Destined for the slaughterhouse, these cows got a new life after the neighbors started a foundation to save them. More than 3.4 million people have now watched the girls kick up their heels. Posted by Denis Vila on YouTube and shared by Joyce McCartney.
Our local video of the week is by Chad Ryan. In the middle of his hood-cam trip through the snow, a chipmunk makes a slo-mo break across the road (at 00:30).
- Here are the week's Top 10 photos from the AP.
- Here are The Journal Gazette's photos of the week.
- Featured gallery: Huntington North Gymnastics Regional
Tim Weiner at Politico magazine explores the devil's bargain, "a delicate balance between deception in the day-to-day business of collecting secret intelligence and the perilous practice of deceiving your superiors." Suggested by Craig Klugman.
Welcome back measles, you loons
Measles was considered eliminated at the turn of the millennium. Now it's back, thanks to parents who refuse to vaccinate their children, says Russell Saunders in The Daily Beast.
A mystery, a murder case and an injustice
Much of the news this past week seemed to come from the pages of best-selling thrillers, writes Serge Schmemann of the New York Times editorial board.
Brian Phillips of Grantland offers a guide to "filling out your NCAA tournament bracket based not on 'advanced metrics' or 'accurate analysis' or 'knowing things about basketball' or whatever science-ism the poindexters are yelling at Mulder these days."
Duh tip of the day
Anne Gregory is web writer-editor at The Journal Gazette. See a story that begs to be shared? Send her an email with the link to email@example.com. Here's to excellence!
- Sunday Brunch: When you have a little time for the good stuff (March 23)
- Sunday Brunch: When you have a little time for the good stuff (March 9)
- Sunday Brunch: When you have a little time for the good stuff
- Sunday Brunch: When you have a little time for the good stuff (Feb. 23)
- Sunday Brunch: When you have a little time for the good stuff (Feb. 16)