MONTGOMERY, Mich. – Officials say nearly three dozen racehorses trained by an Indiana man died when a barn caught fire near Montgomery.
Montgomery Fire Chief Brad Freeburn told WCSR-AM/FM the structure was engulfed in flames when crews arrived Saturday afternoon. A passerby spotted smoke and called 911 around 12:30 p.m.
According to Freeburn, the barn is owned by an Angola, Ind., man who trains horses at the facility in Branch County’s California Township, just north of the Indiana border. The 35 horses that died belonged to the man’s clients.
The chief said the fire likely was sparked by an electrical malfunction, but remains under investigation.
WTVB-AM/FM reported the barn was declared a total loss.
Freeburn says the owner wasn’t there when the fire broke out.