You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to www.journalgazette.net/newsletter and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Indiana

  • Stadium plans in Elkhart area on hold
    Plans for building a baseball stadium at the former site of a large farmers market in northern Indiana remains on hold while financing is sought.
  • Attempted baby abductor given 44-year sentence
    A central Indiana woman has been sentenced to 44 years in prison for trying to snatch a 3-week-old baby during an attack in which she wrapped an electrical cord around the mother's throat.
  • Homeless vets get $605,000 for housing
     INDIANAPOLIS – The federal government is giving more than $605,000 in rental vouchers to Indiana public housing agencies to help 127 homeless Hoosier veterans find permanent housing.
Advertisement

4 killings linked to hunt for safe

4 facing charges in Indianapolis drug house spree

– Four people fatally shot last week in an Indianapolis drug house were slain after one of the suspects charged Friday in the killings opened fire as he was searching the home for a safe, court documents state.

Kenneth “Cody” Rackemann faces four counts each of murder and felony murder as well as robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery charges in the Feb. 20 killings on Indianapolis’ south side.

Rackemann, 24, was allegedly searching for a safe inside the home when he started shooting those inside, according to court documents filed Friday along with charges against him and three other suspects, who appeared before a Marion County judge for their initial hearings.

Authorities said Rackemann fatally shot three people and wounded a fourth before he ran out of bullets, the Indianapolis Star reported. He then allegedly called in 21-year-old Valencia Williams, who had accompanied him to the house and was sitting in a car outside, to kill the fourth victim, a probable cause affidavit states.

Williams killed Hayley Navarra, 21, as the wounded woman begged for her life, according to the affidavit.

“Hayley kept saying she wasn’t going to say anything about the shooting, essentially begging for her life,” a witness told investigators, according to the affidavit.

The other victims killed were: Kristy Mae Sanchez, 22; Jacob Rodemich, 43; and Walter Burnell, 47, all of Indianapolis.

Court documents state that after Navarra was fatally shot, Rackemann, Williams and 20-year-old Samantha Bradley grabbed cellphones, purses and the shotgun before fleeing the home.

Williams faces one count of murder, four counts of felony murder and charges of robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery. Bradley faces four counts of felony murder and charges of robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery.

A fourth person charged in the killings, Anthony LaRussa, 26, was not in the home during the shootings but helped set up the robbery, according to court records.

Advertisement