You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.

Purdue University

Associated Press
Michigan’s Glenn Robinson III hits the game-winning basket in front of Purdue’s Rapheal Davis in OT on Wednesday in West Lafayette.

Big Dog’s son takes bite out of Boilers

Michigan’s Robinson III hits game winner in OT

– A familiar name from Purdue’s past came back to bite the basketball program Wednesday night.

Michigan guard Glenn Robinson III, son of former Purdue star Glenn (Big Dog) Robinson, hit the game-winning shot at the buzzer as Purdue fell 77-76 in overtime to the No. 16 Wolverines in front of 13,821 fans at Mackey Arena.

“It’s a humbling experience,” Purdue guard Terone Johnson said. “We thought had the game in our hands down the stretch. They made one more play at the end on us to get the win.”

Purdue guard Kendall Stephens missed the team’s only free throw with 12.2 seconds left and the team clinging to a 76-75 lead.

“He’ll make the next one,” said coach Matt Painter, whose team finished 17 of 18 at the line. “It’s part of the game. There’s a lot of really good players who have been in that situation and missed them.”

Michigan (20-7, 12-3 Big Ten) wasn’t able to call timeout until 2.9 seconds remained after Stephens’ miss, but the limited time didn’t matter.

Caris LeVert threw an inbounds pass from in front of Michigan’s bench over Purdue’s defense to Robinson, who took one dribble before sending a shot off the glass that rolled around the back of the rim before falling in.

“I had a lot of family and friends here at this game. That means a lot to be able to get this win,” said Robinson, who had a team-high 17 points.

Purdue (15-13, 5-10) appeared poised to upset the Big Ten leader as it led by as much as 19 in the first half and took a 37-24 halftime lead.

But the Wolverines kept chipping away and tied the game at 63 with 1:54 to play, one second after Purdue center A.J. Hammons fouled out.

Michigan never led in regulation but finished the second half tied with Purdue at 65. The Wolverines’ first lead of the game came 30 seconds into overtime when Nik Stauskas got inside for a one of three overtime dunks.

Painter said the dunks and layup the team gave up in overtime was not because it was missing Hammons or freshman forward Jay Simpson, who wasn’t cleared to play after experiencing lightheadedness in Sunday’s 76-57 loss to Nebraska.

“We just did a poor job down the stretch with our weak-side defense and our ball-screen defensive package,” Painter said.

Purdue was also without guard Sterling Carter, whose career ended after he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee against Nebraska.

Purdue did get a strong performance from the Johnson brothers.

Terone, who returned to the starting lineup after coming off the bench against the Cornhuskers, scored 22, and Ronnie had 21. Hammons finished with 11 points, and Stephens and Rapheal Davis each had 10.

“It’s too bad we couldn’t get a victory for our older guys and for Sterling,” Painter said.