WEST LAFAYETTE – Workers are packing up and moving out of West Lafayette’s City Hall, driven out by mold discovered during the cleanup of water damage caused by a ruptured water pipe.
Mayor John Dennis said testing done after the pipe froze and burst last month found bad air quality in the building’s basement and raised concerns about air quality on the two other floors.
We had a company come in and tested the air, and it made it abundantly clear that air quality in the lower level of the basement is fairly bad, Dennis told the Journal & Courier.
Workers on Thursday began moving the city clerk-treasurer’s office to the neighboring police station. Dennis said all other offices will soon be moved so that mold removal work can be done.
He suspects the entire building may have mold woes.
Insurance will only cover mold removal for the first two feet of the building. The cost of removing mold beyond that mark would have to be footed by taxpayers.