You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • Guilty plea filed in near-record marijuana haul
    A 51-year-old Indianapolis man pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court, admitting to dealing large quantities of marijuana shipped in appliances.
  • City to pay $15,000 in police shooting
    The city of Fort Wayne will pay $15,000 to the estate of a man killed by police in late December 2010. Originally filed in Allen Superior Court, the lawsuit was transferred to federal court.
  • Warsaw printer accused over firing
    The Indiana Civil Rights Commission found probable cause that a Warsaw company discriminated against a pregnant employee. According to a press release issued Friday, the Warsaw location of R.

Role in killing draws 23-year sentence

Jose J. Lopez

FORT WAYNE – A Fort Wayne man has been sentenced to 23 years in prison for his role in a slaying early last year.

Jose J. Lopez, 24, appeared in Allen Superior Court on Thursday and was sentenced to 26 years, three suspended, in the death last February of 28-year-old Antonio Galvan III.

Lopez pleaded guilty to residential entry (three years), aggravated battery (20 years) and obstruction of justice (three years suspended.

The sentence was part of a plea agreement with Allen County prosecutors. A murder charge levied against him was dropped.

Lopez and 28-year-old Augustus Marshall were both accused of killing Galvan, who was shot when two men came to the door of his McDonald Street home one morning in late February 2013.

The two men were there to settle a $2,000 drug debt with Galvan, according to court documents. Galvan's brother, who was in the home at the time of the killing, told police he heard a shot as Galvan went to answer the door and then saw him fall backward with a wound to his neck.

Marshall and Lopez were eventually captured hours later after leading police on a car chase. During that pursuit, Lopez dumped a shotgun out of the car, which led to the obstruction of justice charge against him, according to Journal Gazette archives.

The two men ended up in a home of a woman they did not know in an effort to evade police.

Last month, Marshall accepted a plea agreement that called for him to be sentenced to 27 years in prison. He pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and residential entry.