NEW YORK – Dylan Farrow renewed molestation allegations against Woody Allen, claiming the movie director sexually assaulted her when she was 7 after he and actress Mia Farrow adopted her.
In an open letter to The New York Times posted online Saturday, Dylan Farrow made her first public comments about the 1992 incident. In a letter to op-ed columnist Nicholas Kristof, she said she was moved to speak out because of Hollywood’s continued embrace of Allen.
That he got away with what he did to me haunted me as I grew up, wrote Farrow. I was stricken with guilt that I had allowed him to be near other little girls.
The New York Times reported that Allen declined to comment.
Allen has long maintained his innocence.
In the letter, Farrow claims that in 1992 at the family’s Connecticut home, Allen led her to a dim, closet-like attic and then he sexually assaulted me.
She didn’t specify Allen’s actions but described other abusive behavior.
Farrow said Allen would have her get in bed with him and at other times place his head in my naked lap and breathe in and breathe out.
For as long as I could remember, my father had been doing things to me that I didn’t like, Farrow said.
These things happened so often, so routinely, so skillfully hidden from a mother that would have protected me had she known, that I thought it was normal.
Allen was investigated on child molestation claims in 1993 for the alleged 1992 incident in Connecticut. Prosecutors elected not to charge him.
Farrow’s open letter was precipitated by Allen being honored at the Golden Globes with the Cecil B. DeMille lifetime achievement award.
Allen didn’t attend as he largely abstains from awards shows.