You choose, we deliver
If you are interested in this story, you might be interested in others from The Journal Gazette. Go to and pick the subjects you care most about. We'll deliver your customized daily news report at 3 a.m. Fort Wayne time, right to your email.


  • 2011's drug ring bust: Where are they now?
    More than three years after the members of the drug trafficking ring were rousted from their homes, cuffed and taken into federal custody, nearly all now know their fate.
  • Fifth man handed 10 years for nabbing, beating teen
    The fifth of six then-teenagers who beat and held hos­tage another teen before dumping him in a park with bleeding on his brain and a fractured sternum was sentenced to prison Friday.
  • Report public, Wartell says
    In the five months since an investigative report was declared evidence in former IPFW Chancellor Mike Wartell's lawsuit against Purdue University, university attorneys never asked for a court order to keep it from the public.

Role in fatal robbery brings 20-year term

– Last week, 20-year-old Alisha Kizer headed to prison with a 20-year sentence ahead of her.

She pleaded guilty in December to a single charge of attempted robbery. In addition to the 20 years behind bars, Kizer will have an additional 10 years suspended and five years to be served on probation.

The stiff sentence was the result of the shooting death that occurred in that robbery attempt in June 2012. The man shot was 58-year-old youth center organizer Gregory Mitchell. He was known to Kizer, according to court documents, because he helped her and her sister.

And according to court documents, while Kizer was going through the house looking for something to steal to sell, her two accomplices were holding Mitchell at gunpoint.

When police interviewed Kizer in August, she said the three went to Mitchell's house to do "a lick," slang for a robbery. Both men with her were armed with handguns, and wearing dark clothes when they confronted Mitchell in the upstairs of his home at 1911 S. Clinton St.

Mitchell fought back, as Kizer described by trying "to be a hero." She told police the men fought with him, struggling down the stairs even after gunshots were heard, according to court documents.

She said she heard more gunshots, but she was looking for things to sell.

As the three left Mitchell's home Kizer wiped down the doorknob, an effort to erase any trace of fingerprints, according to court documents.

Kizer is now headed for the Indiana Department of Correction.

But no information has been released about the men she said were inside the home with her in June 2012.

Officials with the prosecutor's office said no other arrests have been made and no additional charges have been filed.